Makes 6 pretzels, takes about 2½ hours
- 450 g Bread Flour
- 270 g Warm Water
- 7 g Dry Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- ½ Tbsp Brown Sugar
- ½ Tbsp Salt
- 1 qt Water
- 1 Tbsp Lye (or 2 Tbsp baked baking soda)
- In a medium bowl, combine all dough ingredients and stir until a shaggy dough is formed.
- Turn dough onto work surface, and knead until smooth and supple (8–10 minutes). Bulk fermentation: let rest until the dough has roughly doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and cut into 6 even pieces, forming however you'd like. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 425°F and make alkaline solution (adding lye/soda to water slowly).
- Dip each pretzel into the solution for 30–60 seconds, turning it over occasionally, and place back on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with flaky salt, and bake about 15 minutes.
|270 g Water||Mix and knead 10 min||Bulk proof (doubled)||Divide, shape, rest 30 min||Refrigerate 1 hour||Submerge 1 min||Bake at 425°F for 15 min|
|7 g Yeast|
|½ Tbsp Brown Sugar|
|1 Tbsp Butter|
|450 g Flour|
|½ Tbsp Salt|
|1 qt Water||Combine carefully|
|1 Tbsp Lye|